Monday, July 11, 2016

We Made It, But Why Here?

Well here we are kids. Buckle up because we are about to go on an adventure together. As many of you reading this will know, I have just recently arrived in 대~~한민국 (that would be S. Korea for my non-Korean friends). I am creating this blog to document my time in Korea and to help keep family and friends back home updated.

Yuck, another boring blog about someone traveling to a place I don't care about?

Well, yes. But I'm afraid I can't help that, and hey if you're reading this you're already invested so let's just keep going.

While I am indeed in Korea right now, I thought I would make this blog a bit of a prologue as to why I am even here to begin with.

At Notre Dame, I studied Korean for three years. I also went to Sogang University in Seoul for a short, intensive Korean language program one summer. I have grown to love Korean culture over the past four years, but find that I don't even really know what it's like to live here! Fulbright came along as the perfect opportunity to discover Korea in a new capacity and to work with my other passion, kids! I have taught kids at my church for a few summers now and absolutely love it. That being said, it's more of a camp-esque situation and I mainly just make sure the kids don't stray away.

Being a Fulbright Grantee allows me to reach far out of my comfort zone; develop my Korean language skills via immersion; work with and hopefully have an impact on some kids; build meaningful relationships with my host family, coworkers and others; and learn a lot! My basic goal for this upcoming year can be summed up as: I want to grow. It will be a challenge (little old introverted me is already struggling with 70 new friends at orientation!), but I want to think I am up for that challenge.

This post is very scattered and unstructured, but forgive me as this is my first blog. I will try to be more structured in the future! Check this weekend for an update that is about what I've actually done and not just my feelings!

Annyeong y'all!

1 comment: